Sunday, January 22, 2006

Tear jerker

Normally, I don't cry at movies. I can count on both hands the number of movies that made me cry, out of all the movies I've ever seen, ranging from a few sniffles to outright sobbing.

The scene in The Empire Strikes Back, when Leia shouts "I love you!" to Han Solo, and he says, "I know" is always a good one to elicit a few sniffles.

The whole Carmen storyline in The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, but especially towards the end. It was hard not to shed more than a few tears.

From the very first time I saw it, The Last Unicorn. Like, every time! I've seen it more than two dozen times, and every time, I get all choked up at the end. Even worse - in the last few years, the scene where Molly says to the Unicorn, "Where were you when I was new? When I was one of those innocent young maidens you always come to? How dare you! How dare you come to me now, when I am this!" has really gotten to me.

Within the first ten minutes of the opening scene of Truly Madly Deeply, I was openly weeping. Then again, about halfway through. And at the end. I cried more watching that movie than any other.

I've never seen all of Iris, but whenever it's on TV, without fail, I will flip to it the scene before the scene where John looses his patience and goes into the kitchen, then sees Iris watching him through the French doors, so he goes and reads to her from a book, and she stops him and says, "I wrote?" and John says to her "Yes, my darling, clever cat! You wrote books." I don't remember what the scene before that is because I've already started with the waterworks at that point.

Embarrassingly, the scene in Titanic, near the end, where the ship is really sinking and there's a priest or a minister surrounded by a group of people and they're reciting Psalm 23 ("the lord is my shepherd..."). I was holding on until that point, then I lost it. Worse, I didn't have any tissues.

Tonight I went to see Brokeback Mountain, which FINALLY opened in Sudbury yesterday. The scene where Jack tells Ennis "I wish I knew how to quit you!"? Sad, heartbreaking, but not as sad and tear-jerky as the scene where Ennis goes to visit Jack's parents. Oh, how I wish I wasn't being distracted by the losers sitting behind us who talked all the way through the movie. Even with the oh-so-clever commentary which only 16-year-olds can provide, it was, without a doubt, the scene where I should have lost it. If I hadn't been distracted, mind you.

Alright - I've laid my soul bare. What movies made you cry?