Monday, April 24, 2006

Just be yourself - the best, cutest, quietest version of yourself (definitely wear lip gloss)

16 hours and almost 1500km on the road this weekend, and that's the best title for a post I could come up with? Hell, I couldn't even think of a decent thing to blog about! But do you hear that sizzling noise? That's my brain. My brain, she is fried. I was going to post my reaction to the Canada Reads outcome, but that can wait until tomorrow.

In the meantime, another letter!

Dear People Who Make Signs Indicating The Distance To The Next Major Community (Probably The Department of Transportation),

When you've been driving for just over two hours, it's kind of depressing to see a sign that says "North Bay 280" because it means that North Bay is still over three hours away, and then it's another hour and a half to Sudbury. But little by little, the numbers shrank (269, 260, 252, 248, etc.) and it got easier to accept.

But then you had to start posting the distance to Sudbury as well - "North Bay 240 / Sudbury 314" - which put me right back to where I was before. In fact, further so because the numbers seemed so insurmountable.

Surmount them I did, and I am home, but be damned sure I'm going to be dreaming about the dotted line tonight,

Rebecca


Dear Signs Indicating The Distance To Wawa,

I absolutely love your optimism! "Almost there! 752km!"*

I imagine a traveller coming from, say, Florida would look at that and say, "Wow! I really am almost there!" On the flip side, the traveller who's been driving through the pouring rain, who's sick of all the songs on their iPod, and who's last cup of tea is looking to make an exit - and soon! - would look at that and say to themselves, "Thank G/god I don't have to drive that far!"

Really, although 752km hardly counts as "almost there", you've put such a positive spin on it that you can't help be happy that that's all it's going to take to get there, or that at least you don't have to go that far to get home.

Yay! 752km to go!
Rebecca (only 264km to go at that point)

* I've never been to Wawa, so I can't say with any certainty this is a good/bad thing. However, I've seen pictures, and it looks like a lovely place to visit. You should go - it's only 752km away!