Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Hodgepodge

The woman at the Tim Horton's drive-through yesterday at lunch was the model of efficiency. When it was my turn to pick up my order, she was taking another order and getting together another order - mine was sitting in the open window, waiting for me to pick it up. I had correct change, and she took that, gave me my order, and told me to have a nice day with a big smile. I was in awe of her ability to work that window like it was nothing.

On my way back to the office, I heard "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles, and was reminded of what a cool tune it is.

Speaking of cool tunes, my new favourite downloads from iTunes are "Speak Slow" by Tegan and Sarah and "Little Girl" by Death from Above 1979. The first is cute and pop-ish, and the second demonstrates the awesome sound just two guys can make. I'm also loving Jet's "Move On" - it sounds a little like a Pink Floyd song (and Pink Floyd is not someone I listen to voluntarily). And my new secret (well, not so much now) guilty pleasure is "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" by Big and Rich. It's amusing - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

You'll noticed I haven't updated my currently reading in a while. I haven't had much time to read, or do much lately. Plus, since we have an open-ended date for our next book club, so I don't need to have Eyre read anytime soon, and since I don't like leap-frogging over unfinished books, I'm standing still instead. So I'm a little frustrated with my reading material right now, to say the least.

Last night was our first of five three hour rehearsals. It was so long because we needed to practice our entrances and exits, and how to do them around the other groups coming on and off stage. Mostly though, it was a chance to see all the other pieces, especially the upper level who are using fun props, like sabres and zills (finger cymbals) and small triangular scarves and canes (but not all at the same time!) in their numbers.

It was also mostly boring. I'm in a grand total of four pieces - two class pieces and the two group pieces - and three of the four are in the first half of the show. I spent half the evening sitting around waiting for the finale. During the show, Karen (who is in the upper level and is in eight pieces altogether) has informed me that I will be her costume mistress, since she's got two pieces with major costume changes almost back-to-back. Which will kill time the night of the show, but is doing nothing for me right now. I'm bringing a book with me tonight.

I am not a heavy sleeper. I make the Princess from the Princess and the Pea look like Sleeping Beauty by comparison. So, when I realized that part of my sheets were untucked when I went to bed last night, I made the unwise decision to try and ignore it in favour of getting to sleep right away. For the next three hours, I tossed and turned until I finally got up at 2am and remade the whole bed. Understandably, I'm a little tired this morning.

And it's not helping that it's grey and raining outside and I'd happily crawl back into bed if I hadn't already made it.