Saturday, August 27, 2005

End apathy now!

I don't know what's wrong with me, except that my autopilot seems to be stuck on "Vague, Glassy-Eyed Stare." It is an especially good time to try and sell me something since I seem to be physically incapable of putting items down in any store and saying, "No!"

Witness the shopping spree for organization toys (namely, boxes and things to hold other things) that took place between 7:30PM and 9:00PM last night - I hit three stores and did considerable damage (although one of those stores was Home Sense, so the damage to my bank account wasn't as bad as I thought.) But I had to go back today to get the magazine holder that matched the slim paper holder and square drawer things I bought last night - it's not because I'm a completist. No, certainly not. It's because I didn't want someone to go wandering around the store on a futile hunt for the other two pieces that matched the magazine holder and not find them. It would annoy them. Or maybe it would annoy me if I were in their shoes. Whatever.

So I did go back and get the matching magazine holder, and picked up two plates that matched a vase Julie got at Ikea last week, and two books on retro decorating. As the clerk was putting the things into bags, she was going to put everything into separate bags, but I stopped her and told her the books would fit in the magazine holder. The two women in line behind me started whispering, and the one said to the other, "Oh, she should just put the books into the bag with that holder thing. It makes more sense than getting another bag."

Hi there! Firstly, I can hear you! Secondly, that's what I'm doing! Thirdly, it was slightly creepy to turn around and catch the two of you talking about me, and then have you both start giggling!

So anyways. Armed with all my fun toys for organizing (including a label maker!), you'd think I'd be in hog heaven today, sorting and filing and rearranging things. Yet, strangely, I can't muster the energy to do anything. I should have just quelled my urge to play organizer this morning and done what any sane person should do on a Saturday morning - go to the market, come home, and spend the day eating junk food, knitting and watching movies (which is what I had originally planned on doing).

Except that now my futon/couch is awash in fun storage boxes, and I'm stuck trying to decide what's going in them. I've taken everything off one bookshelf and started on another. There is recycling piled by the door and four cases of empty beer bottles in my closet that need to be returned. I've promised everyone pictures and that ain't happening - at least, today. I'm going to regroup and go from there. I haven't eaten since this afternoon when I had a couple of ears of corn, so a trip to Subway is in order since I can't seem to decide what I want to make for dinner.

Maybe what I need is someone to come over and poke me with a stick until I make up my mind about what I want to do - or, better yet, just tell me where to put everything.

Are you busy tonight?