Tuesday, August 16, 2005

If you can't say anything

My mother always said, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all."* It's not that I lack good things to say, I just don't know what to say. I'm in the middle of updating a document, which I hate with the fiery heat of a million suns, and I'm trying to focus my creativity and positive energy on that while ignoring everything else.** The end is in sight, and I just need to write something to break the writer's block I'm experiencing.

So, what normally would happen in the case of no new news is that a blogger might post a cute picture of puppies or kittens. Lacking any puppy and kitten cuteness around here, I give you the Herb Tarleks and their backup singers, The Aromatics.

The Herb Tarleks and the Aromatics

The Aromatics consist of two eucalyptus plants rescued from the market, a lemon geranium, and a lavender plant that keeps making me think it's dying, and then sprouts new growth to mock me.

Lil' Lavender

In other news***, I have some time off next week, and am heading to Ottawa on the weekend to visit Julie and Robin (hopefully!). Julie and her boyfriend are putting me up (or putting up with me - something like that). Poor Randall. He knows not what kind of havoc Julie and I are capable of wreaking when we get together.

Mind you, it's low key and understated havoc, the kind you would expect from two quiet, retiring types.

* However, I've always preferred Dorothy Parker's "If you can't say anything nice, come sit next to me."
** Literally. There's a basket of clean laundry in my bedroom that's been there for, like, three weeks now. Mostly that's actually just because I'm a lazy such-and-such.
*** Because I do have other news - I just haven't told you about it!