Saturday, August 06, 2005

Only ten?

I love music memes. I like to think that I'm not a music snob, that I'll listen to anything, but the truth is that there are certain things I won't listen to, like country music. That said, I do occasionally like something from the genre and I end up eating my words.

Also, I have a large, eclectic collection, and I like showing it off occasionally. Or all the time. Whatever.

"List ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to."

Just ten? There are at least fifty or so that currently get high priority on all of my playlists. So how am I supposed to limit it to just ten? Well, I'll do my best.

1. "Danny Boy" - Rufus Wainwright
Best lyric: "And a ship with eight sails could come 'round the bend / Or a herd of bulls charging stoplights red." This song is almost the same length as my drive to work, so I like listening to it in the morning to psych myself up. Cute and perky.

2. "California" - Rufus Wainwright
Best lyric: "Ain't it a shame that all the world don't got keys to their own ignition." Snarky and slightly sarcastic.

3. "Memphis Skyline" - Rufus Wainwright (last Rufus song - I swear!)
Best lyric: " So kiss me, my darling stay with me till morning / Turn back and you will stay / Under the Memphis Skyline." An ode to Jeff Buckley, who performed the first notable cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah." Gives me goosebumps every time.

4. "Oh Alberta" - Elliot Brood
Best lyric: "North Dakota, North Dakota, you don't belong in this here song / Where did we go wrong?" Gotta love a song about the Canadian provinces that includes a note of surprise and warning to North Dakota.

5. "Fly the Orient" - Tricky Woo
Best lyric: "I'm not a man, I'm a coastline." Indeed - how so? Short and loud, and I wish it were longer.

6. "Take Your Mama" - Scissor Sisters
Best lyric: "You can stay out late 'cause baby, you're a full-grown man." I didn't like the song the first few times I heard it, and the video is just weirdness. But then I embraced the weirdness, and now come to think of these guys as the bastard offspring of The B-52's, The Village People, and Eurasure.

7. "That's a Good Idea" - Sugar
Best lyric: "I want to feel you in the water with your hands on my head." There's a story behind this song - I was in high school when it came out, and loved it immediately. After a few years, I forgot the name of the song and the name of the band who sang it, and it was lost in the dark, dim recesses of my mind. A few years ago, I came across a mixed tape I'd made around that time with the song on it, so I had the song stuck in my head again but still couldn't remember the name of the band. Then I recently read an interview with Bob Mould, and the light bulb went off. A-ha! Except... iTunes didn't have the song in its collection. Until I checked last week.

8. "Underwhelmed" - Sloan
Best lyric: it's a toss-up between "She told me to read between the lines and tell her exactly what I got out of it / I told her 'affection' has two f's, especially when you're dealing with me" and "She was underwhelmed if that's a word / I know it's not 'cause I looked it up / it's one of those skills that I learned in my school." It was a Napoleon Dynamite-esque song long, long before anyone had ever heard of him. The song rocks.

9. "Scent of a Robot" - Pete Miser
Best lyric: "I'm a robot, programmed not to know." Originally saw this video on the Accordion Guy's blog. It's catchy and clever - what happens when a human realizes he's actaully a robot?

10. "We Used to Be Friends" - The Dandy Warhols
Best lyric: "C'mon now honey, bring it on bring it on yeah!" It's the song I'm going to sing at my elementary school reunion, if we ever have one.

Bonus Song (because it's the weekend)

11. "E-yeah!" - K.I.A.
No lyrics - it's a techno-clubby-trance thing. I think I got it on a whim and a recommendation from iTunes.

I can't think of five people with blogs to tag, so I'm going to tag people who don't have blogs - you can either email me your responses or post them in the comments:

Rachelle
Mom
Elaine
Kris (wait, you do have one - oops!)
Karen