Sunday, August 07, 2005

We now return you to your regular, cheerful blogger

The pain is gone and I'm a much happier camper this morning. I'm not going to delete or edit last night's post, even though I got a strongly worded email about my language from my grandfather this morning (hi Pepe!); rather, I will let it stand as a reminder of what happens when I don't let go of something that bothers me. There's a quote that goes:
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." (Catherine Aird)

So be it.

Actually, forget that. I'm just going to pretend I didn't actually write it. Yes, that's right - one of my other personalities took over and wrote that bit of bile. I can't be held responsible for what she said. So there.*

Lest you think I spent the rest of the day consumed by my rage, I did do many other fun things, including going out for lunch (I was craving a hamburger in the worst way possible**).

For a few weeks now, I've been considering buying an ice cream maker. Part of the reason is this - last year, I was in Toronto, and went to a specialty ice cream store*** where they had ginger ice cream. I can't begin to tell you how utterly amazing it was - one second, you mouth is on fire from the heat of the ginger, and the next it's being soothed by the cool ice cream, and then it's being burned again, then soothed, and so on and so forth. You get it.

Anyways. You can't buy this stuff up here, so I wanted to make it myself. Thus, my simmering desire for an ice cream maker. So yesterday I broke down completely and got one - the bowl is in the freezer and I have a can of orange juice thawing to make orange sherbet. (I found a recipe for ginger ice cream on Epicurious, but since I don't have ginger crystals and a thermometer, I guess I'll have to wait.)

Also, I went and looked at desks because the table I'm using as a desk is too high to comfortably type or surf for long periods of time, and it's too low to attach a keyboard tray. I think I found one that I love, and since I have a few days off in a few weeks, I can have it delivered then.

What else? Oh yes - no day spent in decadent indulgence would be complete without a stop at Chapters. But I was good and limited myself to the discount shelves, and came away with a bunch of cheap books. (I also browsed the expanded manga section - of course, of the two series I looked at (one I've glanced at a few times and one that caught my eye yesterday), neither had the first volume available. Go figure.)

This morning, I'm feeling much better. I was up early, went to the market and scored a box of their-weight-in-gold raspberries and a super-secret surprise**** for my sister in Guelph, since neither of us get to go Down East with my parents and other sister later this month. At the grocery store, I got some cranberry foccacia bread, ham, and havarti cheese for breakfast. I intend to spent the rest of the day in quiet contemplation, reading my book club book and the other two books I'd reserved at the library, which came in on Friday.

*Denial - not *just* a river in Egypt!
**Like, if I didn't eat a non-fast-food hamburger sometime in the next hour, I was going to be very sad.
***Greg's Ice Cream, for all you Torontonians or those of you heading there. It was on the corner of Bloor and something, but I think it was moving to the corner of Bloor and Spadina. Yes, actually - it did.
****Well, I guess it's not going to be much of a surprise now, is it?