Monday, August 08, 2005

Anniversaries

I am "liberating" this meme from Juice, because I can't think of a better way to celebrate the first birthday of this blog.*

10 Years Ago: Well, if it was a nice evening, probably out with my boyfriend at the time, doing his favourite dating activity - fishing off the pier in Port Dalhousie. Yeah, he was a winner - I can't understand how I let him get away, either. It was also the last month before I started university, and I was just about sick of people asking me, "So, you're taking Politics. What can you do with a degree in Politics?" Little did I know how often I would be asked that over the next four years.

5 Years Ago: It was the most exciting summer I'd ever had. First, I had my gall bladder out. Then I started working in the Department of Medical Informatics** at the Med School at Dal for my practicum. Then I went to Edmonton for the CLA conference. And then the Tall Ships came. But on August 8th, I think I was preparing for my family to visit. My roommate, who was from Australia, was headed back home, so I had the apartment to myself for a few weeks.

1 Year Ago: I was cleaning my bathroom, thinking about starting a new blog (because I was getting tired of the old one), when the name of it came to me like a bolt out of the blue. I ran to my computer, went to Blogger, and started this. (Oh, also - I had been living in Sudbury for a little over three months, and had been at my new job for the same amount of time. I lived in constant fear of messing up or being uncovered as a fraud and sent packing.)

Yesterday: Spent the day reading. And making orange sherbert (which, as it turns out, tastes like frozen yogurt for some reason.)

Tomorrow: Errr.... no clue. Working, reading, and surfing the internet, but not all at the same time.

5 Snacks I Enjoy: Wheat Thins, raspberries, bananas, chocolate chip cookies, and Arrowroot cookies.

5 Bands That I Know Most Of The Lyrics To Their Songs: Simon and Garfunkle, Big Sugar, The Trews, Areosmith, and Raffi.

5 Things I Would Do With $100,000,000: Buy houses and cars for my parents and sisters, buy a private jet for my grandfather so he can go Down East whenever he wants, spend a good chunk on the rest of my family, build a new library building in my hometown (both branches), and fund art programs for kids.

5 Locations I Would Like to Run Away To: Halifax, Jasper, Edmonton, Halifax, and New Orleans.

5 Bad Habits: Chewing my lip, picking at scabs, rolling my eyes, being sarcastic, and cussin' and swearin'.

5 Things I Like Doing: Sleeping in, reading, watching TV, long walks on the beach, and thinking of ways things would be different if *I* were in charge.

(Am I almost done yet?)

5 Things I Would Never Wear: My prom dress (if I had to do it over again), large floral prints, stirrup pants, puffy sleeves, and thongs (the underwear).

5 TV Shows I Like: classic Star Trek, CSI, Queer as Folk, Firefly, and Mythbusters.

5 Movies I Like: Oh lordy, where do I start? Star Wars, Tank Girl, New Waterford Girl, Rushmore, and Yellow Submarine.

5 Biggest Joys of The Moment: Family, upcoming vacation, reading a good book, nice weather, and knowing there's going to be something to laugh at every day.

5 Favourite Toys: Gretchen (my Mini iPod), my digital camera, my knitting needles, my retro blender, and the Herb Tarleks.

*In other words, I can't think of any words of wisdom to impart.
**The study of studying how studies are conducted. Or something like that.