Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A playlist to lift the writer's block

Due to the fact I'm suffering through another bout of writer's block, I'm going to post another playlist. Believe me, I know it's probably boring you to tears, but it helps to have something to write about to get you started writing, and this is as good a way as any to start (does that make any sense?)

The writer's block is starting to affect my work work. All yesterday and today (well, actually yesterday morning and this afternoon - my presence was required elsewhere the other times) I've sat and stared at my computer screen, waiting for inspiration to strike. I should be writing things like, "All libraries should have technology plans to clarify how they intend to offer services using their current equipment, and guide decisions to upgrade said equipment and/or offer new services." Instead, all that comes to mind is, "Blah blee bloo blee blah blah bloo blurp." Which is so very not going to look good if I give it to my manager.

Let's go!

(Incidentally, this is the first set of songs I downloaded, back in February or March or something like that. I was new to the whole downloading legal music, and was giddy with excitement that I was able to find what I did.)

The Littlest Birds (Be Good Tanyas) - I probably heard this on the CBC at some point, but the first time I remember hearing it was when my sister played it for my mother and I, and the three of us dancing around the kitchen (maybe I'm the only one who remembers this?) I'd forgotten about it until Phillip played it on Mud Songs Radio, so I checked to see if it was available. Lo and behold, it was!

Sad Eyes (Liam Titcomb) - For a while, this song was in heavy rotation on MuchMoreMusic, and I liked it, but thought that I'd get bored with it if I downloaded it. Lo and behold, I didn't! (And it doesn't hurt that this kid is seriously easy on the eyes, either*.)

* I should warn you - if you click that link, turn your speakers down.

Mr. Brightside (The Killers) - Loved the video, loved this song. Moulin Rouge-ish, with Eric Roberts!

Accidentally in Love (Counting Crows) - Did you see Adam Duritz's 'do at the Oscars? Dude, Sideshow Bob called, and he wants his hair back! (Great song, from Shrek 2, and it should have won.)

Alert Status Red and In A World Called Catastrophe (Matthew Good) - Ironic last name, since I haven't heard anything good about him. But I like these two songs, what can I say?

God is a DJ and Trouble (Pink) - "If God is a DJ, life is a dance floor, and love is a rhythm..." I'm fond of these lyrics, and the message of this song in general, despite the fact it's a blatantly manipulative pop song. And while I'm not "trouble" in the ways Pink is, I'm certainly trouble in other ways (just work my only nerve**, and see what happens - c'mon, I dare you!)

** See, I only have one nerve - it's a birth defect. So you can't get on my nerves, because I only have one, and chances are someone else is already on it, so you will suffer the consequences without the pesky waiting or warnings.

Watch Your Money (The Waking Eyes) - Where did I first hear this song? I don't know, but they rock, and this is a fun song.

Little Drop of Poison (Tom Waits) - Yet another song from Shrek 2. Waits at his menacing, creepy best, set to a tango!

London Rain (Heather Nova) - A good song for a rainy day, when you know you're going home to put on your pj's, make a pot of tea, and settle in for the night.

Booty Call (G. Love) - I caught part of this video on MMM, and thought it was a groovy, funky piece. Happily, the whole song was as good as the clip.

Debonair (The Afghan Whigs) - A song from my halcyon university days. I think they were from Ohio, which was unusual, and probably why I remember them.

Maggie May (Rod Stewart) - Oh, I just like this song! Probably the first pop culture reference to Cougars.

Shake Me (Vocal Mix) (Mint Royale & Various) - It's a fun blend of 50's-ish pop, techno, and dance. It reminds me of the colour pink with white polka dots, if that makes sense***.

*** Oh, it doesn't. Just take my word for it!

And thus ends the drought. We'll see how often I have to revert to using "blah blah blah" in an official document tomorrow.