Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Co-inkidink? I think so...

I have a history of experiencing weird coincidences (coincidents?). Ask me to tell you about the first week of grad school. (Actually, don't bother asking - if I've known you more than a month, chances are good that I've probably already told you and you're already bored of it.)

Anyways, in the past two weeks, I've been going through another flurry of "Wow, that's weird" moments.

Weird moment #1: I was cruising around the IMDb site, and came across Callum Keith Rennie's filmography. Now, some of you may know/remember him as Stan "Ray" Kowalski from later seasons of Due South, or from eXistenZ or Last Night. I noticed that he had appeared on an episode of "Bliss", which I thought was odd, but meh - I've harboured a secret crush Jeff Goldblum for years, so there's really no accounting for my taste.

Flipping channels a few days later, didn't I happen to catch his episode of Bliss on Showcase?

Weird moment #2: Last week, famous Canadian mucky-muck Pierre Burton passed away. He was a journalist and prolific writer, mostly about Canadian history and politics.

On Saturday, I grabbed a page from a newspaper to clean my mirror (use vinegar and newspaper to clean your mirrors and windows - there's something about the vinegar and the amonia in the newspaper that leaves a shiny, streak-free finish). I have a bag of papers that had been packing material last time I brought stuff from home. I opened the page to crumple it up, and didn't I find an article about Burton written by Allan Fotheringham - my favourite Canadian columnist? (Lest you think it was a recent paper, the date on the page was October 8th - almost a month old.)

Weird moment #3: On Definitely Not The Opera on Saturday afternoon on CBC Radio 1 (so-called because on Saturday afternoons on CBC Radio 2 is Saturday Afternoon at the Opera) they were profiling "hosers" (which is a slang word for a certain type of Canadian - roughly equivalent to a redneck or a yobbo, but with differences). One of the things they were doing to celebrate hoser-culture was playing songs that could be closely identified as being "hoser".

Around quarter after four, didn't they play Stompin' Tom Connors' "Sudbury Saturday Night?" (Actually, this is more ironic than coincidental). I however, was not on my way to play bingo, nor did I have any plans to get stink-o, and I don't normally think of Inco on a daily basis anyways.* I was getting ready to go to the grocery store before church, and then I was going home to do laundry.

*The song opens with the lines, "Oh, the girls are out to bingo / and the boys are getting stink-o [drunk] / We'll think no more of Inco [the company who own the mines] / for it's Saturday tonight."