Thursday, December 23, 2004

Stupid Mind!

I’m sure that everybody knows how much my body hates me
It lets me down most every time and makes me rash and hasty
- Billy Bragg, Sexuality

Over the past four days, I've had a grand total of 9 hours sleep. By last night, I was quite tired and more than a little stressed out. When I went to bed shortly before midnight, I kept thinking how much my body will appreciate a good, solid 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. It took a while to get to sleep, because every time I'd drift off, I'd think of something else that needed to be done in the morning. Finally, I got up and made a list, and since I didn't have to try and remember anymore, I dropped right off.

At 5:20am, my Mind woke me up.
"Pssst. Hey!"
"Zzzzzzz... *snort* Wha...?"
"Hey! What about the locks?"
"Huh?"
"The locks!"
"What locks?"
"For the suitcase, duh! Where are they?"
"How the hell should I know? I think they're on the big suitcase."
"Well, you should go find them."
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because I don't need them. Now shut up and let me get another two hours of sleep, please!"
"What do you mean, you don't need them? What if someone tries to break into your suitcase?"
"I don't need them because I'm staying at Chez Larocque. The only person who might possibly want to break into my luggage is Rachelle to look for her Christmas presents." (Note to Rachelle: Don't.)
"But where are the locks?"
"Again, I don't know. Probably on the big suitcase."
"Fine. Where are the keys for the locks, then?"
"Shit! I don't know! Will you bugger off?"

At that point, my sinuses decided to get in on the game and started running. For the next fifteen minutes, I was sneezing and blowing my nose and coughing and all sorts of other attractive things. Finally, I got up and my sinuses and my Mind started high-fiving each other for getting me out of bed an hour and a half before my alarm was supposed to go off. Bastards.

I just talked to my mother, and apparently the weather in Toronto is craptacular, but not doing anything at home. I'll be doing the trek in puddle-jumps (stopping in Parry Sound and Barrie) to gauge the weather and road conditions.

Wish all us travelers luck!

Update: Despite miserable road conditions from Sudbury to Barrie (and moderately bad conditions from Barrie to Toronto, and "Meh" road conditions the rest of the way), I made it home in slightly over nine hours. It's normally a six-hour journey.

Thanks for the good karma and best wishes!