Friday, December 03, 2004

I've arrived!

When the weather started getting cold here, I would get into conversations like this in the elevator in my building:

Person: How's the weather?
Me: It's getting chilly out there.
Person: Well, it's going to get a lot colder before too long!

Which never failed to drive me insane. Yes, I realize that it's going to get colder - I'm from the South but I'm not an idiot who gets all surprised when the windchill hits -20 in mid-November. I knew this when I moved here and was expecting it. I was speaking in general - as in it's chilly compared to what it was this morning or between my going out and coming back.

(Can you tell I'm a bit sensitive about being labeled a "Southerner"? Just like when I lived in Halifax and was labeled an "Ontarian" or an "Upper Canadian")

So, the other day I get in the elevator and someone gets on. We exchange smiles and nods, and the conversation begins.

Person: So, what's it doing out there?
Me: Oh, it looks like it's going to snow.
Person: It's cold out there.
Me: Yup, but it's going to get colder before too long.

Yee-frickin'-haw! I'm now officially a Northerner!