Tuesday, January 04, 2005

New Year's Resolutions

Well, it's that time of year to make promises that we have every good intention of keeping, but almost never do. I view NYR's as I do promises made to God in moments of crisis - "God, if you get me through this, I promise I'll quit smoking". If I have to make resolutions, I try and make them as reasonable and modest as possible. A few years back, my resolution was to practice better dental hygiene and I was able to keep this resolution for several months. I was pleased. (I've also now been outted as the dullest person on earth, but that's beside the point...)

So this year I've tried to come up with some more reasonable resolutions that I feel I can stick to. They're broken down into the three categories that most resolutions fall into: Interpersonal Relationships (dealing with others), Recreational (dealing with our free time), and Self-Improvement (dealing with ourselves).

Interpersonal Relationships:
1. Be less catty. I'm not all that catty to begin with, so when I do have a truly catty moment, I like to savour it. However, it's not nice, so I will endeavor to cut out cattiness altogether.
2. Be more patient. That's going to be tough, especially when dealing with people who, by their very presence, rub me the wrong way. I will no longer view dealing with difficult people or situations as direct challenges from God(s); instead, I will try and view it as an opportunity to stop and smell the roses.
3. Make a better effort to remember names. I'm pretty good at remembering names - most of the time. I could still try harder.
4. Stop feeling obliged to do things because I'd feel guilty if I didn't do them.

Recreational:
1. Finish one knitting project before moving onto the next one. Or at least start fewer projects at one time.
2. Be more social. Try and get out at least once a month with friends, even if it's just to the movies.
3. Try and find a yoga class that interests me.
4. Read more non-fiction. I'm aiming for at least one a month, as opposed to one a year.
5. Watch more documentaries and independent films. Just because I don't like Michael Moore doesn't mean I shouldn't watch F9/11 - we all need to have our points-of-view challenged once in a while.

I'm going to try and keep track of the books I read in 2005. I know I wanted to do that last year, but never actually did.

Self-Improvement:
1. Be on time, if not early. I'm usually on time or two or three minutes late. Let's not do that anymore.
2. Stop procrastinating/finish things. I have a fear of finishing things - I don't know why. I'm good at starting things, but sort of fizzle out towards the end. 2005 will be the year of finishing stuff.
3. Eat healthier. I won't stop eating junk, but just not as often. One chocolate bar every few weeks, as opposed to every few days.
4. Be more active. Yes, it's cold and walking is difficult. But there are other indoor activities I can partake in, like aerobics. Not that I'll take aerobics, but just for example....
5. Stop stressing out about things that are beyond my control.
6. Manage money more wisely. Make a budget and stick to it.
7. Donate more to charity. (MSF and the Red Cross are the most recent beneficiaries of this new policy.)
8. Practice better dental hygiene. Including finding a dentist.