Wednesday, July 27, 2005

An Open Letter to the Writers and Producers of Queer as Folk

Thank you.

Thank you for Monday's episode.

It's the first season I've been able to watch first-run episodes of the show because I only started watching it through reruns of season 4 last summer. I couldn't watch it Monday because Karen was camping, so I taped it and we watched it earlier this evening. I've been hearing teasers and veiled references to something awful happening, and I've been on pins and needles since.

Wow. Just... wow.

It was powerful. It was and wasn't what I expected. The Something Awful happened, but not to who I though. I admit - without naming names, I was relieved it didn't happen to one character I like, but was shocked it happened to another character of whom I've never been particularly fond. You ended it on a tragic note - you left two lives hanging in the balance, and left Karen and I hollering at the television, "YOU CAN'T END THE EPISODE NOW! Come back!"

The closing credits? Awesome. The director for this episode? Awesome. The acting? Awesome.

Thank you for not making me rant about how much I've really disliked this, the final season. I've been unhappy with some of the plotlines - predictable and familiar, and 99 times out of 100, I've been able to predict what certain characters will do next, right up to what they're going to say. After Monday? I honestly don't think I'll be able to do that any more. I'd already half-composed my angry response to what I thought was coming, but have had to discard it in favour of this grudgingly respectful, heartfelt response.

Your show is one of the very few in which I can honestly say I care about the characters as people. (The others would be Firefly, Farscape, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer - huh. I'm noticing a trend here...) I stick up for certain characters when they act like assholes, and I'm genuinely pleased when other characters overcome obstacles. Episode 2, season 2? I get misty every time I watch it (in fact, season 2 is my go-to when I'm having a bad week.) I will miss this group a great deal when they're gone.

A straight fangirl Up North