Monday, November 21, 2005

"... - the good spanner, I might add - ..." (NaNo, Day 21)

I'm sort of embarrassed to admit that I've posted an excerpt of my story on my NaNo profile. It's from an exchange I wrote Saturday afternoon, and it cracked me up (it's not very long - less than a page in Word).

It struck me last night that in about two months time, I'm going to look back on all this and wonder what the hell I was thinking blogging about this. I mean, it's kind of dorky the way I keep going on and on about it*, and when it's all over with, I'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Then I'll go back and reread November's posts, and want to crawl into a hole and pull the hole in after me. It's almost like...like...

Back in high school? When you and Lori used to rush to each other's lockers after class? And breathlessly discuss which one of the many guys you have crushes on you saw before, during, and after class? And at some point, the list of guys becomes so long you have to start writing them down? And then you have to start narrowing the list of guys down? And one of you, you can't remember which one, comes up with the idea of the Top Ten Babe List (TTBL)? Which is updated on a weekly basis? And rankings are complied using a complicated system of how many times you've seen him, how long you saw him, who you saw him with, and whether or not you actually got to make eye contact/speak to him?** And you keep doing this for, like, two whole years until all the original guys have graduated/you've graduated?

And ten years later, you come home for Thanksgiving and find a copy of the list you kept stashed in a drawer?*** And you read it? And you cringe - hard - and wonder what you were thinking at the time?

Yeah, something like that.

*And have spent a total of about three hours drawing diagrams so I know where everything is.
** I went to a Catholic high school, and we all wore uniforms, so what they were wearing was pretty moot.
*** That scraping sound you heard was my mother trying to open the drawers on my desk in my old room at home in order to look for the list. The joke's on you, Mom - I hid it somewhere else! Heh heh heh...