Thursday, March 03, 2005

Book blurbs (and rice!)

If you've noticed to the left, I've been posting the books I'm reading and the date I've finished them. Lest you think I go through books at an alarming rate, let me reassure you that it's because I'm a fast reader. A speed reader, you could say.

To prove that I'm actually absorbing what I'm reading and not just skimming (well, okay - I did skim through Devil Wears Prada, but only because it was so gawdawful irritating) or flinging one book over my shoulder while grabbing for the next (which I did do when I went from Please Don't Kill the Freshman to Exquisite Corpse), I will start posting blurbs about what I've read. But not tonight. Not that it's too late (sort of) or that I can't think of anything to say about the first book (sort of), it's just that it wasn't a good evening to start writing about anything. I did a load of laundry (towels, mostly), and ruined dinner. I overcooked the fish and the yellow beans, and totally FUBAR'd the rice.

(See, I don't know what it is with me and rice. I've never made the perfect kind of rice, the kind that's fluffy and light. Mine always ends up sticky or porridgy, no matter what I do. Normally, that's okay because I make rice pudding for breakfast in the morning with whatever's leftover. This time, it was a monumental foul-up, and there's no way I can salvage this sticky lump of... something. I guess I'll be having toast in the morning. Again.)

Where was I going? Oh, right - book blurbs. Yeah, keep an eye on the sidebar on the left for a link or something. Currently, I'm slogging through A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. It has its moments, but if I hadn't commited myself to reading the whole thing, I'd have cheerfully tossed it aside by now.