Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Things I've done that you probably haven't

I've been reading what other people have been doing that I haven't, and I realized that I lead a pretty mundane life. It's not very exciting, so there's probably not much that I've done that you haven't already done too.

When I sat down and thought about it, I managed to come up with a fairly respectable list, including:
  • Had my picture taken with a couple of Japanese tourists at the Columbia Ice Fields in Alberta (somewhere, I'm someone's souvenir. Terrific.)
  • Fenced with a member of the Canadian Olympic Fencing team (granted, he was twelve at the time. But he was good, even back then.)
  • Went skating on the Rideau Canal after midnight.
  • Was challenged by an MPP to assign him his Dewey Decimal number (in response to a button I was wearing at the time: "Librarian terrorist - get out of my way or I'll catalogue you!" For the record, I don't remember what number I gave him. Possibly I suggested that he was #1.)
  • Played hockey trivia with a dozen other people while standing in line to meet a famous author.
  • Been alone in a deserted airport in the middle of nowhere (well, okay - Dryden. But the airport really is in the middle of nowhere. It's a pretty, quiet sort of nowhere, though, unless you're downwind of the pulp mill in which case you'll wish you were somewhere else.)
  • Broke my leg falling out of a moving vehicle.
  • Confronted an escaped prisoner. (He was looking for his lawyer.)
  • Had a panic attack while crossing the Confederation Bridge (aka "Span of Green Gables" aka the bridge from PEI to New Brunswick. I'm afraid of heights and open water, and there was plenty of both.)