Monday, May 16, 2005

The major falls, the minor lifts

I don't know why I don't just call a spade a spade and call this blog "I'm Going To Bitch About Stuff Now." It's probably more accurate. (This is to say, it's been a day of highs and lows.) Witness:

The Major Fall: dropping a bag of chocolate chips on the kitchen counter and watching it explode all over the place. I was already running late, and this would make me even more late.

The Minor Lift: listening to classic Bon Jovi on the way to work.

The Major Fall: being late to work.

The Major Fall: having to deal with fifteen impossible questions before 9am.

The Major Fall: forgetting to call someone for clarification about a problem they were having. Will call in the morning.

The Major Fall: eating a donut and a chocolate danish at lunch.

The Major Fall: realizing I have less than a week before I have to do three presentations at a conference next week.

The Minor Lift: Karen calling me at random times and singing, "Liverpool! LIVERPOOL!"

The Major Fall: the cork in the bottle of wine I was trying to open would. Not. Come. Out. Seriously, it took me ten minutes to get it halfway out, and then it broke in half. Great.

The Minor Lift: finding out that next Monday is the season premier of Queer as Folk.

The Major Fall: confirmation that this is the last season of QaF.

The Minor Lift: going for a really long walk tonight - my usual route, plus a trip down to the postal outlet to pick up a parcel from Chapters.

The Major Fall: getting to the postal outlet and finding out that it closes at 6 on Mondays. It was 7:15.

The Minor Lift: getting a call from Karen, saying that she was able to get us all (Karen, Kris, Kevin, Douglas (Karen's brother) and I) tickets to the midnight showing of Revenge of the Sith on Wednesday.

The Major Fall: finding out that yet another 2 liter carton of milk has gone bad in my fridge. It's only been open for a few days.

And for some reason, I'm feeling compelled to tell you that I accomplished nothing useful again tonight, except to heap the leftover sewing supplies in a pile in the middle of the dining room table. I guess the laundry, mail pile, packing, fridge cleaning, and reading will have to wait until tomorrow.