Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Meme me up, Scotty

Marylynn, who is expanding my knowledge of odd Northern Ontario terminology despite the fact she's in California, tagged me for a meme. It's the music one.

Total volume of music files on my computer:
672 songs, or 2.49 Gb. Yeah, it's not a lot right now, but I'm in the process of copying some of my CDs to the hard drive to boost the numbers. Back in the heyday of Napster, I had somewhere in the neighbourhood of 700 songs - I still have most of them backed up on a bunch of CDs, but I don't always copy all of them back onto my hard drive after I reformat it.

The last CD I bought was:
Heh. I found out I'd been tagged Saturday afternoon, and earlier in the day I'd broke down and bought an actual CD (I've been doing a lot of iTuning lately). Rufus Wainwright's "Want Two" is sitting on my desk in front of me, having listened to it quite a few times since then. It's going to take a few more listenings to before it becomes my new favourite CD - I'm still hung up on "Poses," which I downloaded before going to The Soo.

Song playing right now:
463 - Buck 65. It still reminds me of the five-hour drive between Timmins and Sudbury down the 144 - there are exactly two towns on that route, and before you turn onto the 144, there's a big sign that says "Last Gas for 100km." It kind of freaked me out, so I went back to the nearest gas station and filled up.

Five songs I listen to a lot, or that mean a lot to me:
You're kidding, right? Just five? I'll see what I can do...

Angel - Aerosmith. My all-time favourite power-ballad.
Barrett's Privateers - Stan Rodgers. The best song to sing at full volume while drunk in a bar in Halifax.
April Fools - Rufus Wainwright. I was going to a job interview in Charlottetown, and decided to take the Confederation Bridge (aka The Span of Green Gables) across. What I didn't realize was exactly how long it was and how high it was - and I'm afraid of heights and open water (don't ask). The only thing that kept me from a full-blown panic attack was playing this song over and over and singing along.
Go - The Apples in Stereo. Reminds me of my trip to Edmonton - I heard this in a record store on White Ave. and bought the CD.
Not Ready to Go - The Trews. My theme song when I moved to Sudbury.

There's one other song, but I don't even know the song title or who sang it. On the morning I left for Halifax to go to grad school, I woke up and heard this song on the radio, just a singer and a guitar; something about a cathedral and a wedding. For the longest time, I thought it might have been Ron Sexsmith, but I can't find anything of his that sounds remotely like that song.

Five people to whom I am passing the baton:
Lisa (since Denise still hasn't done the last meme I tagged her for!)
Phillip
Julie
Amanda (I think you may have been tagged with this once before, but I can't remember!)
Karen