Monday, May 30, 2005

Operation Chaos, Part the First

Sunday afternoon I decided I didn't have enough excitement in my life, so I decided to undertake two major, first-time projects, and call it "Operation Let's See How Much Chaos I Can Create In My Tiny Kitchen." The first project was to cook my very first pot roast, which doesn't sound difficult, except that I've been known to badly screw up simpler recipies.

I started by browning the roast with a little oil and flour.

Pot Roast, p.01

Then I added a half cup of beer. (Black Label, if you must know.)

Pot Roast, p.02

I hit a little snag when I had to call my mother to find out what temperature I put it in the oven on. "Um, it's called *pot* roast. You cook it on the stovetop." Thanks Mom!

I cooked the pot roast on the stove for about an hour, with the cover on. After the hour, I added the carrots and the onion.

Pot Roast, p.04

I also added a little more beer...

Pot Roast, p.05

...and celebrated getting to this point without any major screw ups.

Pot Roast, p.06

Now I let it simmer for another hour and a half. After that time, this is what it looks like.

Pot Roast, p.07

I peeled the potatoes to make mashed potatoes.

Pot Roast, p.08

And voila! The final product!

Pot Roast, p.10

It was good. Very tasty and tender, and I'm having the leftovers tonight.