Friday, October 22, 2004

Promises, shmomises

Earlier this week, I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more yarn or any more books until I finished what I had on hand. I'm in the middle of four or five projects, and I have a stack of library books that I've already renewed once and need to go back. Plus, my bookcases are starting to reach capacity.

However, when I checked the Chapters site this afternoon and saw that there were copies of Christopher Moore's The Stupidest Angel available at the local store, I knew I'd be breaking my promise come 4:30 that afternoon.

It was worth it, though. I read the first three pages and am giddy with anticipation for the rest. However, I must finish The Englishman's Boy (bleah) and clean my apartment before I can proceed. The promise of reading both Angel and Going Postal, the latest Discworld installment from that literary genius, Terry Pratchett, will add speed to my chores. It is going to be one hell of a funny weekend around here.

(An aside: I didn't buy Knit Wit: 30 Easy and Hip Projects, a tres cool knitting book by Amy Singer. I was quite impressed with my restraint.)

(Another aside: my sister and I are somewhat competitive with each other, to put it mildly. While I have far more knitting books and magazines in my collection than she has in hers, she has way more finished projects that I do. I am envious.)