Saturday, October 02, 2004

Soup's On! : Introduction

Y'know how sometimes you come home at night, and you're tired and you're hungry, but you don't have the energy to cook. Even if you did, there's nothing in the fridge or cupboards to cook? To top it off, outside it's cold and grey and (depending on where you live) damp. Misery hangs over your head like a little black cloud, and you contemplate crawling under the blanket on the couch to spend the night in front of the television. What you really want is some good, hot soup to stop the rumbling in your stomach and warm you up.

Yeah, I've had a few of those days. So what I started doing was making big batches of my favourite soups, putting them in containers, and freezing them. That way, when I'm having One Of Those Days, I can just grab a container from the freezer, put it in a bowl of hot water to thaw for a bit (I don't have a microwave), and then put it in a pot on the stove to heat up.

Since I moved up here, I've made three batches of soup, and unfortunately, used the last container two weeks ago. Autumn has started in earnest now, and I need to restock. So this morning when I went for groceries, I got the ingredients for two of the three soups (the third, a sweet potato soup, was good, but not freezer-good.) Once I finish cleaning up the apartment (which means I need to start at some point), I'll begin making the soups.