Sunday, October 24, 2004

We've got a computer down! Oh wait, never mind...

Minor crisis yesterday. My computer wouldn't boot up. It would turn on, make all the appropriate noises, and then... blank screen. It's done this before, most notably after I moved up here. And once last weekend. It gets fixed through a combination of blind luck and threats - seriously, I have no idea what combination of poking around the wires and blowing on stuff makes it work, but working it is. So, I'm happy once more.

Brief update: finished The Englishman's Boy - FINALLY! It was okay, in the end. I wouldn't reread it, but I wouldn't tell people not to read it. I liked the last chapter a lot more than the rest of the book, because it tied in to the first chapter, and then brought the whole story to a satisfactory, if unhappy, ending. We meet to discuss it on Tuesday.

I went to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on the IMAX screen at Science North yesterday, with a fellow Dal grad who moved to Sudbury in the summer, and a co-worker of hers. It turns out the co-worker has family in the same area where I'm originally from down south. At the end of the outing, I got invited to a Stitch n' Bitch yet another co-worker of theirs is hosting. Looking forward to it - must start Christmas presents for my sisters, so this is as good an excuse as any to start.

As soon as I finished TEB last night, I started Going Postal. Utterly and completely brilliant! It has all the elements of a classic Pratchett novel - reluctant heroes! Highly intelligent tyrants! Fiendishly evil villains! Weird old guys! The Glom of Nit! (Hey - read the book yourself if you want to know what that is!)